“An hour in the metaverse needs to be better than
– an hour on Facebook
– an hour on Instagram
– an hour on Twitter
– an hour on YouTube
– an hour on Netflix
– an hour in Fortnite
– an hour in anything we have now”
Weekly News Report:
1. The interplay between Axie Infinity’s rising popularity among gamers and its booming revenue has helped its native token AXS become one of the top-performing digital assets in 2021. AXS price gains over 16% as Axie Infinity closes in on 1M daily active users.
2. The cryptocurrency exchange Coinbase has announced that it is now allowing traders to use bank cards linked to Apple Pay to purchase crypto assets on the platform. Coinbase enables crypto buys with linked debit cards to Apple Pay and Google Pay, and instant cashouts up to $100,000 per transaction available 24/7.
3. Ethereum just activated a major change called the “London hard fork.” It alters the way transaction fees are calculated, ideally smoothing them out and making them less volatile. Positive momentum for ethereum led to bullish sentiment across the cryptocurrency sector. The value of all tokens in circulation was up 3.8% over the last 24 hours.
4. After the Ethereum-based video game “Axie Infinity” became an instant success, blockchains have blossomed in the $100 billion gaming industry. In the latest episode of the blockchain competition — just like what happened with DeFi — Binance Smart Chain, the public blockchain supported by Binance, the world’s biggest centralized crypto exchange by trading volume, surpassed the Ethereum blockchain daily transactions again.
5. The price of bitcoin rose above $43,000 for the first time since May. The latest rally took bitcoin’s year-to-date return to 48%, far exceeding the Standard & Poor’s 18% gain.
6. The Bundesliga has partnered with NFT platform ToppsNFTs.com to release an exclusive collection of NFT trading cards. The NFT collection is the first for the German football league and will feature top players, rising stars and highlights from the 2020–2021 season. ToppsNFTs.com is owned by legacy trading card company Topps and is built on the Avalanche blockchain.
7. Mutual fund giant Fidelity Investments has acquired a 7.4% stake in crypto-miner Marathon Digital Holdings for about $20 million, according to a Forbes report. The investment reflects the growing institutional and individual interest in investing in crypto-related companies.
8. Philipp Plein becomes the first major fashion brand to accept crypto payments. The retailer will accept 15 cryptocurrencies for both online and in-store purchases. The brand has partnered with Coinify, a crypto payments platform owned by Voyager Digital.
9. Swisscom, Switzerland’s largest telecommunications provider, is to launch a Chainlink oracle node to provide data for DeFi. Chainlink co-founder Sergey Nazarov said that Swisscom has very high-security standards, which is important for being a high-quality node operator. But what is even more important is that you now have a trend of multiple enterprises beginning to see the value in running nodes.
10. Argentinian soccer legend Lionel Messi is to be commemorated by an NFT collection, dubbed “The Messiverse,” which will be available from 21:00 UTC Aug. 20 on blockchain platform Ethernity Chain for the first time.
11. Bitwise, the San Francisco-based asset management firm, announced Wednesday that it would invest directly in Aave to back its “Bitwise Aave Fund,” a fund created to build a bridge between accredited investors and the emerging DeFi sector. Demand for Aave has boomed dramatically in the previous 24 hours as traders assessed its involvement in Bitwise Investment’s upcoming institutionally focused investment vehicle.
12. Wells Fargo had announced earlier in the year that they planned to offer cryptocurrency investments to clients. Something that was referred to as a “professionally managed” cryptocurrency investment. Now the bank has announced that it will begin offering cryptocurrency exposure to its high net worth clients.